One of the questions that clients ask a lot is how to make Custom Donation HTML work for their page. Another question that we get asked a lot is "why is my custom donation HTML not working"?
The answer to both of the questions is "We're really sorry, but Salsa doesn't support Custom Donation HTML." Which is true. However, we like to help out when we can, so here are some tips, and a starter kit.
- Salsa does not support donation pages with Custom Donation HTML. Custom Donation HTML contents are provided by customers and clients, and are not covered by your support agreement. However, we will do what we can to give you advice about how to make it work.
- Custom Donation HTML replaces all of the amount section of a donation page. That includes the amounts that you choose and whether or not recurring donations are allowed.
- Your Custom Donation HTML must provide some required fields in order to be effective. The rest of the HTML (appearance, behavior, validation) is a clean slate.
Your Custom Donation HTML must provide HTML fields with these names in order to submit valid donations. Please note that names are case sensitive.
amount is not the same as
||Whether or not the donation is recurring.
||Number of payments to collect. Use '9999' for unlimted payments.
Required for recurring donations.
||Number of currency units (typically dollars) to donate.
An amount to use instead of "amount'. Generally not used in Custom Donation HTML, but that's not a hard-and-fast restriction. If
The starter kit contains all of the script and fields that you'll need to make a working Custom Donation HTML field that
- accepts donations of 10, 20 or 30 dollars
- accepts one-time donations
- accepts recurring donations, and
- provides the same radio buttons for amounts as a standard Salsa donation page.
Here are some steps that you can use to install the starter kit.
- Edit a donation page.
- Click on the "Other Text" tab.
- Locate the "Custom Donation HTML" field.
- Click here to see the page where the starter code lives.
- Click on the
Rawbutton. A window will appear that contains just the starter code.
- Copy the contents of the window and close it.
- Return to the donation page editor.
- Paste it into the "Custom Donation HTML" field for your donation page
- Customize it
- Test, test, test!
While Salsa does not support pages with Custom Donation HTML, we do try to suggest ideas that can be used to get pages to work. With that in mind, if you do have any questions, then please gather this information.
chapter_KEYif you are in a chapter
donate_page_KEYof the modified donation page. You can see this in the browser's address bar when you are editing and viewing donation pages.
- A screenshot, if possible.
Please send this information to email@example.com, and we'll see what we can do.