A donation page can be configured to allow a donor to provide a mailing address. The mailing address is generally different from the one used to make a donation.
When that radio button is checked, Salsa adds a checkbox to the donation page. Clicking the bottom checkbox shows the mailing address fields.
A client suggested that the fields in the mailing address box should be required if they are visible. That way, donors that want to provide a mailing address will fill in all of the fields necessary to send them snail mail.
When the first button is clicked, the mailing address fields are no longer forced to be required.
If that seems like a good idea for your organization, then please read on!
The solution is to add a script to the donation page. The script makes the mailing address fields required when the fields are visible. The fields return to being not required when the donor clicks the "Keep my mailing info the same as my billing info" checkbox.
Here are some steps that you can use to install this script.
- Edit a donation page.
- Click on the "Optional Text" tab.
- Scroll down through the optional text fields until you find the "Pre Submit Footer" field.
- If there's already content int the "Pre Submit Footer" field, then scroll past it and insert a blank line. If there's not content in the field, then insert a blank line at the top.
- Click here to see the page where the solution lives.
- Locate and click the "Raw" button. A new window will appear that contains only the script.
- Copy the contents of the window and close it.
- Return to the donation page editor.
- Paste the copied text into the newly inserted line in the "Pre Submit Field".
- Save the donation page.
A big ole shoutout to Mike Price at Strength in Members for the excellent idea. Mike was working with Franciscan Mission Associates on a donation campaign when he thought up making mailing address fields required. Thanks, Mike!
If you have any questions, then please gather this information.
chapter_KEYif you are in a chapter
template_KEYof the modified template
donate_page_KEY(or URL) of a donation page that uses the template
- A screenshot of the page, if possible.
Send this information to email@example.com, and we'll be glad to help.