A client suggested that having a way to unsubscribe from groups on a signup page would be very helpful. No need to force a supporter to an unsubscribe page -- just check or uncheck group boxes.
For example, let's say that a supporter wants to unsubscribe from "Safeguarding Canada's Freshwater Update" and subscribe to "Defender News" and "Climate and Clean Economy Update".
Normally, that would involve using an unsubcribe page to leave the bottom group, then a signup page to join the top two groups. With this solution, a supporter can simply unclick the bottom group, click the top two groups and submit. Voila! The supporter is done!
This solution will only work if the supporter key appears in the signup page URL. You can do that by adding
to the signup page URL in, say, an email blast.
The solution needs to be installed into the template used by signup pages. Hear are some steps that you can use:
- Edit a template.
- Use the browser's search tool to locate the </body> tag.
- Insert a blank line just before the </body> tag.
- Click here to see the page where the solution lives.
- Locate and click the "Raw" button. A new window will appear that contains just the solution.
- Copy the contents of the window and close it.
- Return to the template editor.
- Paste the copied text into the newly inserted line in the template.
- Save the template.
My most sincere thanks to Alex Cheesman of Environmental Defence for this excellent idea. Alex has also suggested a signup page that a supporter can use to change email addresses. That's next...
If you have any questions, then please gather this information
chapter KEYif you are in a chapter of another organization
template_KEYof the modified template
- The URL of a signup page that uses the modified template
Send all of this information to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be glad to help.