If your organization uses Major Mail Marketing or List Vendors to acquire potential donor lists, you will find the Solicitation feature in Salsa CRM will help to speed up your data entry process.
Typically, when an organization signs up with such a company, you buy a Finder File that is then sent to you. The Marketing Company sends the bulk mailing to the potential donors and sends you the Keycode File and the Finder File. At this point, you upload this information into Salsa CRM's Solicitation module.
Together, the mapping you set in Salsa CRM and the bar coding that these vendors provide makes data entry a lot faster and accurate.
Keycode and Finder files must be in CSV format.
The Keycode File contains the codes for the various mailings sent on your organization’s behalf and allows you to set mappings for each mailing to specific funds, campaigns and appeals in DonorPro. This allows quick and easy importing of received remit pieces.
Keycode files contain two columns of information: Keycode, which represents the letter segmentation for your mailing, and the Description, which is a short description of that mailing segment.
Sample Keycode File
The Finder File is the list you purchased of potential donors.
Every mailing list vendor would produce a slightly different file, so Salsa CRM has a standard file header format to adhere to, for all vendors (except Russ Reid). Column headers need to be revised to meet these standards. Any column headers not supported need to be removed. Any column headers that are not in your finder file need to be added, even if they're blank columns.
Finder File Headers
Instant # (must be unique across all finder files)
Contact First Name
Contact Last Name
Extra Line of Address
Plus 4 code
Number of List Codes
Food Bank Code
Barcodes for entries in the Finder file will simply be the Instant Number using the 3 of 9 barcode font.
Barcodes for entries from Salsa CRM will be the code "$DP" then the Constituent Number in a format "$XXXXX" and the Keycode that corresponds to the appeal letter they were sent in the format "$YYYYYYY". So barcode for Constituent # 800002 who received appeal KX11XH1YE will look like $DP$800002$KX11XH1YE.
Add Finder File and Keycode Files to Salsa CRM
TIP: You will want to be sure to create the necessary Funds, Campaigns, and Appeals prior to taking these steps in the Salsa CRM Manage > Finances menu.
In order to import these files, you will need to be sure you have the Solicitation Finder File data-related permissions assigned to your role in Salsa CRM.
- To import your Keycode and Finder Files into Salsa CRM, click Manage >Solicitation from the Main Menu. The Solicitation screen opens to the Keycode Files tab.
- Click the Add... button. The Add Keycode Files pop-up window appears.
- Click the Browse button to find the file you wish to import. Once you've selected the file, enter a File Description, and then click Save. Your Keycode File will be listed in Salsa Engage.
- Click Close to return to the Keykide Files tab.
- Highlight the file name, and then click the Edit Mappings... button at the bottom of the screen. This sets the funds, campaigns, and appeals for the mailing information contained within this Keycode File.
- The Keycode Maintenance screen opens. Highlight the mailing for which you wish to set the corresponding funds, campaigns and appeals and double-click on the mailing name.
- The Edit Keycodes pop-up window appears. Here you are able to select the corresponding Fund, Campaign, and Appeal for the mailing associated with this particular Keycode. Make your selections, then click Save. The Fund, Campaign, and Appeal that you mapped for this mailing appear on the Keycode Maintenance screen.
- Click the Add... button at the bottom of the screen to set the proper mappings for multiple mailings at one time. The Copy Template Keycode pop-up window appears. Here you are able to select the Fund, Campaign and Appeal and, if appropriate, edit the Display Description.
- Using your mouse and CTRL key, you can select all of the mailings that should have this information applied to them. This way, when you receive a mailing response, when you scan the barcode, DonorPro will apply these items for you.
- After you have selected all of the corresponding mailings, the Fund, Campaign, and Appeal information will populate. Click OK to close the window.
- Next, you will want to import the Finder File. Click the Finder File tab, and then click the Add... button. The Add Finder Files dialog box opens.
- On the Add Finder Files pop-up, click the Import button and find the file on your system.
- Enter a File Description, and then click Save.
- The Finder File is imported into Salsa Engage 50 records at a time. You can see this at the bottom of the screen.
- Now you are ready to enter donations received in the mail.