Let's say that you have a donor that tries to make a $100,000 donation every month. And that the donor's credit card has never, every allowed the donation. And the donor uses the same email address.
Wouldn't it be great if you never saw those donations? Yes? Then read on!
The solution to the problem of the bogus repeat donor is block the donations made with the donor's email address. The technique is to use Salsa's built-in spam catcher if the donor's email address appears. When the spam catcher has contents, Salsa just ignores the donation. You don't see it.
The workaround needs to go into the templates used by donation pages. Here are some steps you can use for each template.
- Edit the template. Click here if you need help getting started.
- Use the browser's search tool to locate the </head> tag.
- Insert a blank line just before the </head> tag.
- Click here to see the page where the solution lives.
- Locate and click the "Raw" button. A new window will appear that contains only the solution.
- Copy the contents of the window and close it.
- Return to the template editor.
- Paste the copied text into the newly inserted line in the template.
- Configure the list of unwanted email addresses.
- Save the template.
The list of unwanted email addresses is in a <meta> tag at the top of the newly inserted text.
<meta name="special" content="email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org">
Replace the current email addresses with the ones that you want to block. If there are more than one address, then separate them with commas. It will be important not to remove the quotation marks. Here's an example
<meta name="special" content="email@example.com">
Save the template.
To test the workaround, use a donation page that's assigned the modified template. Make a donation using the bad guy's email address. Use Salsa's test credit card number to avoid charges on your credit card. Submit the donation.
It will appear that the donation was successful.
View the list of donations in Salsa HQ. The test donation should not be on the list. Salsa will have blocked it because the email address matches.
If the donation is on the list, then please use the guidance in the "Questions" section to get help. Sending a link to the test donation will be very helpful.
If you have any questions, then please gather this information.
chapter_KEYif you are in a chapter
template_KEYof the modified template
donate_page_KEY(or URL) of a donation page that uses the template
- A screenshot of the page, if possible.
Send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be glad to help.