Salsa has a rarely-used table called "supporter_volunteer" . The supporter_volunteer table contains some helpful volunteer information that can be added to a supporter via a signup page.
At the time that this article was written, only the "Availability" field is populated by signup pages. The field is displayed to supporters when "For volunteers, request availability" checkbox clicked in the "Options" tab of the signup page editor.
This is a sample signup page that requests availability.
Here's a sample of the extra volunteer information that can be added to your signup page:
If your volunteer efforts could be more effective with any or all of these fields, then read on!
The solution is to add some HTML and a script to each of your donation pages where you'd like to collect additional volunteer information. Here are some steps that you can use.
Configure the signup page
- Edit the signup page.
- Click on the "Options" tab.
- Click the "For volunteers, request availability" checkbox, then save your work.
Install the solution
- Click on the "Other Text' tab.
- Locate the "Content before the submit button" field.
- If there's already content in that field, then scroll past the existing content and insert an empty line. Otherwise, insert an empty line at the top.
- Click here to see the page where the solution lives.
- Locate and click the "Raw" button. A new window will appear that contains just the solution.
- Copy the contents of the window and close it.
- Return to the signup page editor.
- Paste the copied text into the newly inserted line in the "Content before the submit button" field.
- Save your work.
Use the signup page, select some volunteer options, then submit. Use the "Report" section (below) to create a report on volunteers.
You can create a report showing volunteers and their preferences. Here's a summary of how to do that. If you have difficulties with the report, then please use the "Questions" section (below) to get help.
- Navigate to the Reports section of Salsa.
- Locate and click the "Create Custom Report" link in the main menu.
- A new report form will appear.
- Name the report. For example "Volunteer Information".
- Click the "Standard Report" radio button.
- Click the "Advanced Object Choose" radio button.
- Choose the "Supporter" and "Supporter Volunteer" objects.
- Save your work.
- Click on the "Columns" tab.
- Click "Add column".
- Choose a field that you'd like to have on the report. The supporter fields will appear at the top of the column dropdown. The supporter_volunteer fields appear at the bottom.
- If you have more fields to add, then go to step (2) immediately above.
- If you are through adding fields, click the "Save" Button.
Run the report
- Click the "Run report" tab on any page.
- Salsa will generate a report and display the output on the screen.
- There are also options to export the report output. You can click here to learn more about exporting data.
if your organization has chapters, then volunteers can be added to chapters in two ways.
- Create a chapter-level volunteer page and install this solution, or
- Import data into the supporter_volunteer table. That will require a "write in table" import. You can learn more about write in imports by clicking here.
If you have any questions, then please gather this information.
chapter_KEYif you are in a chapter
signup_page_KEY(or URL) for the modified signup page
report_KEY(or URL) for the report if you're having difficulty there.
- A screenshot of the page, if possible.
Send this information to email@example.com and we'll be glad to help.