Do you want to add some custom fields to your Donation pages? There are 3 options. Please review each before making your decision on which to use.
Option #1: Re-brand an existing, unused Donation table field
There are some existing fields, against donation records, that you may be able to simply re-brand. Here's a potential list:
Using custom HTML or scripts on your donation pages you can change the labels for these fields to display a name that would be more accurate for public consumption. This article outlines a solution for Designation_Code, but can be used for the others as well.
Option #2: Create new Custom Fields against the Donation database table
Custom Fields on the Donation database table have some restrictions:
* They cannot be queried using the Query tool.
* They cannot have data imported into them via the Supporter Import tool.
* They cannot be populated using the "Enter Donations" page in Salsa HQ.
Things you CAN do with donation custom fields:
* Filter by them in the "List donations" page.
* Report/export their data by including the "donation" table when making a custom Report.
* Populate them with data via a public-facing Donation or Custom Content page.
If, after reviewing the above restrictions, you wish to create Custom Fields on the Donation database table, here's how to do it:
1. Navigate to the "Manage Custom Fields" topic in "Supporter Management" (http://screencast.com/t/e80Xt2coZI)
2. Click on the left-arrow in the menu (http://screencast.com/t/ldYbwvqg)
3. The next page shows the kinds of custom fields that Salsa can create.
4. Select "donation records" from the bottom list (http://screencast.com/t/IGjI1yIqx6u).
5. You'll be prompted with a list of custom donation fields (http://screencast.com/t/9XNtcip9jDD).
6.The donation custom fields are managed from the field list page in the same way that supporter custom fields are managed.
Option #3: Just save the data against the Supporter record instead of the Donation record
If neither of the above are workable for your use, then you may want to consider storing the extra data in supporter custom fields. Please note, however, that supporter custom fields are part of the supporter record (NOT the donation record) and are overwritten every time a new page containing those fields is submitted. If, for example, someone makes two donations, then the information saved from the first donation will be overwritten when the second donation is submitted, when using a supporter custom field.