When to use it
When sending out a new syndicated email blast, there are several syndication options to consider. You need to decide which links need to be updated and which need to remain the same, for example. Once you've made that decision, use Campaign Syndication for Emails to automatically syndicate the links in the syndicated email.
When you syndicate an email blast, Salsa will automatically comb your email for all included links. Based on the type of link, you’ll be presented with several options for syndication.
How to get there
When editing an email blast click the button and then click the Syndicate link.
Once the above email is set to Syndicate, Salsa will first prompt you to select the chapters/organizations to which links should be syndicated.
Links Contained in Email Blast
After choosing the initial distribution, you’ll be taken to your second selection page, where you will decide what action to take with each link in regards to syndication.
Salsa will identify each type of link contained within the email blast, displaying the type and the corresponding KEY number (e.g. Action 19935).
The first two options are available for all links in the email - whether they go to Salsa-created pages or external pages.
- Carry Over Existing Link: This option will leave the link unchanged (i.e. it will be the same across all syndicating chapters). This is useful when you have an organization-/nation-wide page/email which doesn't need chapter-level customization.
- Enter New Link: This option allows you to enter a chapter-specific link. For instance, if each chapter has its own version of the End of Year donation page, you would enter the chapter-specific version here, rather than what is currently contained in the content section.
Note that you would likely not use this option when you're syndicating to multiple chapters: whichever new link you enter will then be used across all syndication targets. This option is best fitted for email blasts that are only being syndicated to one other chapter.
If the links in the email blast go to Salsa created pages (Such as Signup Pages and Action Pages), you’ll have the additional option:
- Syndicate: When this option is selected, Salsa does several things immediately and automatically.
- First, a new page will be created for each chapter selected on the previous syndication screen (e.g. each of the 32 chapters would have its own page/URL generated).
- Second, Salsa will create a copy of your email for each chapter.
- Third, the page URLs generated in the first step will replace the corresponding link in the syndicated emails created in the second step.
- Action pages have two additional options (both of which are enabled by default):
- Include Action Content - Disabling this option will require your chapter-level campaign managers to create their own Targeted Action content after syndication
- Include Targets - Disabling this option will require your chapter-level campaign managers to select their own Targets after syndication
- And finally, when you insert a link in your email blast that refers back to the same email (such as a web-friendly version, which you can read about here), you’ll notice one other option.
- Update Link to point at new blast: This option will provide a chapter-specific email blast link to replace your existing link. For instance, if the org-level email blast we're working on is key number 34, once the blast is syndicated, Salsa will automatically create email blast key 35, and then will replace the link to email blast 34 with a link to email blast 35.