When to use it
Tell a Friend pages allow your supporters to spread your message for you. Salsa provides a simple form which allows supporters to input email addresses, sending a customizable message to those recipients.
How to get there
Navigate to the Website Management package and then click the Tell A Friend Pages option under Web Pages.
How to create the page:
Configuring the page
- Reference Name - An internal reference for you to identify the page. End-users will never see this.
- Title - The public name of page which will appear at the top of the published page (as an h2)
- HTML Content - This content appears below the title and above the configurable email text. This is a good place to describe what users should be telling their friends about!
Configuring the email
- Email subject - This is the email subject you suggest, but it will be editable by the supporter who is actually sending the email
- Email Body - This is the email text you suggest, but it will be editable by the supporter sending the email
- Uneditable Content (on the "Options" tab) - This is the email text which will NOT be editable by the supporter sending the email
- Redirect Path - After supporters submit the Tell a Friend form, they will be redirected to the page entered here.
Tell a friend about what?
An email blast
To generate a tell a friend link for emails, create a link following this example:
<a href="mailto:Enter e-mail address here?subject=FWD: [[Subject]]&body=I thought you might be interested in this message http://XXXXXXXXXXXX/o/YYYY/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=[[email_blast_KEY]]">Forward to a Friend</a>
The stuff in the Xs should be your base URL and/or node and the Y's should be your organization_KEY. Where do you find this? Well, to make it easy on yourself, go to the Blast Archives list under the Email Blast package . Once you're there, under the heading "View Your Email Blasts" you'll see a link listed, looking something like http://somestuff.salsalabs.com/blastContent.jsp. That's the link you need to work with.
Take that URL and put
?email_blast_KEY=[[email_blast_KEY]] at the end of it, and also insert
/t/0/ in front of the past that says blastContent.
Finally, paste all of that into the sample link provided above. You can then insert this link into your email blast content. Salsa will put the email blast key of the email into the dynamic content field at the end automatically, and then the link will be able to function.
Curious about the extra
/t/0/ in there? That extra part of the URL tells Salsa not to load your default web template when loading the email blast for web display. The link will still work without the
/t/0/ but it'll probably look unpleasant. (Try it out and see.)
An advocacy action
On the Follow-up tab, select "Redirect to a Tell a Friend Page."
A donation page
After making a donation, users will be redirected to the URL entered here. You may enter a Tell a Friend page if you wish.