The Salsa Welcome Back message (seen below) is helpful in saving time for your supporters by pre-filling fields which they've already completed.
When a supporter submits a Salsa form, Salsa stores a cookie on his or her system. When the cookie exists, the supporter is logged in to Salsa and he or she won't be prompted for any information that's stored via the cookie. Instead, of asking for duplicate information, Salsa displays the infamous Welcome Back message.
This guide will show you how to disable the Welcome Back message using the Kiosk Redirect tool. This solution is especially effective if you need to hide the Welcome Back message on a page that uses a short URL.
NOTE: The solution outlined on this page will not work for forms which are embedded on your website. If you need to hide the Welcome Back message on one of those pages, check out our related documentation.
The base solution is to have a URL that logs off any supporter and then sends them to your page. Salsa has a tool to create a link like this called the Kiosk Redirect tool.
If the Kiosk Redirect tool is installed, then you'll see an item on the Dashboard that looks like this:
If the Kiosk Redirect tool is not installed, then here are the steps that you can use to install it:
- If you are not on the dashboard, then navigate to it.
- Click on the
Stickiesfrom the selection box:
- Click the
Kiosk Redirectitem in the list:
- Clicking that entry will install the tool, and you should see it on the Dashboard now:
Get a logout URL
Now to use the sticky to create a URL that automatically logs a supporter out of Salsa before a page is displayed. Here are some steps that you can use.
- View the page that gets the treatment, and copy the URL from the browser's address bar.
- Locate the Kiosk Redirect tool on the Dashboard Page.
- Paste the page URL into the empty text field:
- Click the Generate button:
- A URL will be generated:
Usage in Salsa
Here's how to use the kiosk URL that you just created:
- Edit the page for the URL that you used to create the kiosk URL.
- Click on the
Follow Uptab and locate the
- Paste the kiosk URL in the "Redirect to" field and save the page.
- To use the page as a kiosk, save the URL as a bookmark, then click on the bookmark to get started.
Usage outside of Salsa
If you'll look at the URL that we just generated, you'll see that it doesn't start with 'https://', which We'll need it to use the URL in a page that's not on Salsa. Here are some steps that you can use:
Open a window in a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit. Microsoft Word is not a good choice.
- Type this into the text editor:
- Next, click here and follow the steps to retrieve your API_HOST.
- Paste the API_HOST into the text editor. Please do not add any spaces. For example, if the API_HOST is 'wfc2.wiredforchange.com', then the text editor will contain this:
- Copy the URL from the Kiosk Redirect tool and paste it into the text editor. Again, do not add any spaces. Using the URL from the example, the text editor should contain
it will be a verrry long URL.
- Copy that URL and use it as a link in your website. Any of your website users that click on that link will never see the Welcome Back message, even if they use the page repeatedly.
If you have any questions, please collection this information:
- Your organization_KEY
- Your chapter_KEY if you are in a chapter
- The original URL that you pasted into the Kiosk Redirect tool
- The long logout URL that you finished up with
- The URL of the page where the logout URL is installed, if necessary
Send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be glad to help.