General Configuration allows you to define global settings in the DonorPro software as well as set DonorPro up to send Email. Typically the System Administrator sets the Configuration. However, anyone who has
Configuration permission can modify these settings.
1. From the main menu select Manage and then Configuration.
2. The General Configuration Information screen will be displayed. Place your cursor in the Company Name field.
3. Type your Company Name the way you wish it to appear on Form Letters and Reports.
4. Enter the start date of your Fiscal Year by entering your starting Fiscal Month and your first Fiscal Day
in the appropriate fields.
5. Select the Minimum Password Length for all DonorPro users from the drop down list.
6. Select the Minimum Special Characters that all user passwords must contain.
NOTE: Special Characters are any characters other than A-Z or a-z.
7. There are six options available in the General section of this panel.
- Maximum (number of) Records to return on Searches - The Maximum Records to return on Searches identifies the maximum number of records a search will return. The maximum is set globally for all users of the software, not on an individual user basis. Lower numbers will result in faster searches. However, a lower number requires more detailed search criteria be entered to ensure the record you are searching for is returned by the software. If more records than the maximum exist in your database, a message will be displayed indicating that more records exist and that you should narrow your search criteria. "More records exist. Narrow your search criteria to view these records."
- Default Image Color Mode - The Default Image Color Mode allows you to select the default for scanned items. Your options are Black and White, Grey Scale, and Full Color. TowerCare Technologies suggests that you select a default of Black and White in order to reduce image size and speed of display time. In special circumstances, such as Photo ID's or Gift in Kind, where color and detail is important, you can change the color selection of the individual item on the scan screen.
- Exclude Gift in Kind from Summary Reports - The Exclude Gift in Kind from Summary Reports option allows you to not include the value of Gifts in Kind in your Summary Reports. While the value of Gifts in Kind is important, it is not actual monies collected therefore you may wish to exclude their value in reports.
- Auto-Insert Period after Constituent Initial – Selecting this checkbox will save time when entering constituents, DonorPro will automatically insert the period for you. The period is inserted upon saving the record.
- Display Data Sync Map button - When selected, the Data Sync Map button will appear on the main page of the constituent record and on donation records.
- Allow blank Donation Credit Card number – The Allow blank Donation Credit Card number option allows you to leave the Credit Card number field and the Expires date field blank when entering a credit card donation. By selecting this checkbox you will not have to enter this information.
- Allow Donation back-dating - The Allow Donation back-dating option allows you to use dates prior to the current date when completing the Received Date field on the Donation screen. This checkbox is selected by default. If you de-select this checkbox, you will not be able to set a received date prior to the current date when entering new or updating existing Donations.
8. Select the Maximum Records to return on Searches using the drop down list.
9. If necessary, select the desired Default Image Color Mode from the drop down list.
10. If desired, uncheck the Exclude Gift in Kind from Summary Reports option.
11. If desired, select the Auto-insert Period after Constituent Initial option.
12. The Data Sync Map Button appears on the main constituent record and donation records when
the Display Data Sync Map Button checkbox is selected on the General page of the Configuration panel. NOTE: The Data Sync Map button is for DonorPro users who integrate with a third party data source.
13. Check the Allow blank Donation Credit Card number if you want to the option of leaving this field
blank when entering a donation.
14. The Allow Donation back-dating checkbox is selected by default. If you de-select this checkbox, you will not be able to set a received date prior to the current date when entering new or updating existing Donations.
15. To configure DonorPro so as to be able to send emails from within DonorPro, type the Default “From” (Email) Address you wish to use when sending Email.
NOTE: It is a good practice to set up a shared Email address rather than any one person’s real Email address. This allows people who have received Email from your organization to contact you at a later date, even if the original sender is no longer with your organization.
16. Type your Server Address such as smtp.snet.yahoo.com. Depending on the version of Windows that you are using, you may need to enter your server IP address. To obtain the server IP address you can either contact your System Administrator or you can ping your server. Press the Tab key.
NOTE: If you are unsure of what your server address is, open your regular Email program such as Outlook. Select the Tools menu, and then select Accounts. Highlight your current Email account and select Change or Properties depending on the version of Outlook that you are using. Look for your outgoing mail server or SMTP. Copy the information from that field into the DonorPro Server Address field.
17. You should not need to change the Server Port number on the DonorPro screen, but the field is provided in case your System Administrator tells you that the mail server does not use the standard port. Press the Tab key.
18. Type your Server Username. This is the user name assigned by your Email service. It could be firstname.lastname@example.org or jdoe%snet.net depending on your Email provider. Press the Tab key.
NOTE: Review your current Outlook Accounts to see what you have listed as your account name.
19. Type your Server (Email) Password.
19. The lower section of the screen shows the Spouse Designation. The Spouse Designation allows you to
expand upon the standard Spouse definition of Husband and Wife to also include relationships identified as
Spouse, Significant Other, Domestic Partner, and Fiancé. This comes into play in Advanced Queries and
Mail Merge where you have the option to include a Spouse’s information in the output or letter. Highlight
the Available Spouse Value you wish to be accessible in other areas of DonorPro and select the Right
NOTE: The Spouse Value is important when working with Queries when you Merge Spouses and in Mail
Merges when you include spouse information in the salutation, for example. If you only have "Spouse” selected here, only people with that specific relationship will be merged. Husband and Wife relationships, for example, will not be merged.
20. Select Save.