To ensure software integrity and eliminate duplicate entries you add each person individually as a constituent and then define relationships between the constituents in DonorPro. This also ensures that a constituent is properly credited for any donations that they have made. If both a husband and wife have made a donation, when entering the donation you would identify one as the Donor and the other as the Co-Donor.
Relationships are defined through the Relations node in the Constituent Explorer and can be reciprocal. This means that if you enter Jane Doe as the wife of John Doe, then John Doe can automatically be added to Jane Doe's constituent record as Husband.
Please refer to the Configuration section of this manual for more information on creating your own Reciprocal Relations.
NOTE: For a Daughter or Son the reciprocal relationship would be Parent, and for Mother and Father the reciprocal relationship would be Child.
From the Constituent Explorer panel, select the Relations node. The Relation Information panel is displayed.
2. Select Add Link. The Add Link pop-up box will be displayed.
3. Select the Constituent button. A Constituent Search screen will be displayed.
4. Press the Tab key on your keyboard to position your cursor in the Last Name field and type the Last Name of the constituent that you are adding as a relation. Add the First Name or first initial if known to narrow the search parameters.
5.Choose the Search button.
6. Constituents who match the information entered will be displayed in the lower half of your search screen. Select the appropriate constituent and press Enter
7. The selected constituent's name will now appear next to the Constituent button. Select the appropriate Relationship from the drop down box. When selecting relationships think of it this way, X is the Y of John Doe. The X being the name of the constituent you have just selected, and the Y being the relationship they have to John Doe. Press OK.
8. To ensure that you have added the relationship correctly, DonorPro includes an Important Note on the lower half of your screen. As you define the relationship, the information regarding the relationship will appear in bold typeface to ensure that you have added the relationship correctly.
9. Select the Save button when finished.
There are a few important relationships to note. Acknowledgment Recipient allows you to assign a constituent as the person to whom acknowledgment letters will be sent. For instance, if you receive a donation in memory of Jane Smith, you can assign another constituent, such as her husband, John Smith to receive letters informing him that a gift has been received in his wife’s memory. The Acknowledgment Wizard makes this an easy way of ensuring everyone is thanked properly.
Also, spousal relationships can be set in many different ways. From Manage on the main menu, select Configuration and on the General tab, in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, you will see the Spouse Designation section. Here you can choose which options you would like to use in your database to recognize spousal relationships.
TIP: The Advanced Query Wizard will recognize only the selections you enter into the right hand panel, Selected Spouse Values. Therefore, you will want to leave Deceased Spouse in the Available Spouse Values on the left panel.
NOTE: You will want to assign Deceased Spouse to a constituent who has passed away along with entering their deceased date on their individual record. This will allow you to query so as not to pull deceased spouses.