Once the matching gift of a previous donation is received, you will want to return to the donation record of the gift that is being matched to create the matching donation payment.
- In keeping with our previous example, you will want to open Doug Waite’s donation of $200 that was entered on 10/12/16. To open Doug’s record, search for his constituent record, then select Donations under the Explorer panel of his record. A list of Doug’s donations will display.
- Double click on the donation to open the donation record.
- Click to select the Matching button, located in the bottom left corner of the donation record. From here you will be able to remove or change the matching constituent or you can select details to view the details of the match. Select Details and the corresponding name, for this example the corresponding name is Section Eight Productions.
- The Matching Donations window appears. Select the Create Matching Donation button
- The New Donation window appears.
- You will notice that the Donor name has been populated with the matching company’s name, Section Eight Productions.
- You will need to enter a batch number, payment type and received date (or adjust received date as necessary) as usual.
- The Soft Credit Donor’s name has been populated with the original donor’s name, Doug Waite. (A Soft Credit is entered when a donation is received because of another constituent such as a matching donation. When the matching donation is received you want to give a soft credit to the original donor.)
- The Donation Amount field has been automatically populated with the donation amount.
- The same fund, campaign and appeal applied to the original gift record are populated on the matching gift donation record. Notice at the bottom of the donation screen, it now states that this gift is a Matching Payment for Donation 3880. Donation 3927 was the Donation ID number of Doug Waite’s original gift.
- Select Save. Close the donation tab and you are returned to the constituent's donation tab. For this example you are returned to Doug’s record.
- To check that the matching gift now reflects as paid, select the Matching button on this screen. You will notice that the Status (bottom right hand corner) has automatically defaulted to Paid.
- If you attempt to match a donation (that has already been matched from the Matching Donations screen, when you click the Create Matching Donation button the following error message will appear. Click OK to close the window.
Next Article: Donation Notes - Specific to Donation