- To enter a donation, select the Add Donation button from the toolbar.
- The New Donation screen opens.
- Select the Batch by entering the Batch Name in the Batch field. If you do not know the Batch name, click the Batch button to open the Batch search box. A Batch enables you to group your electronic work much like you would your paperwork. While each organization is different, a typical batch would be the day’s donations received via mail. If there is no match the Batch Search dialog box opens. Use other known search parameters, such as Earliest Date, by typing the date or select the Calendar button, choose the date, select OK. NOTE: The Status field can be used to search for Open or Closed batches. The S Column corresponds to this field. If the Batch Name is not known, you may use the * as a wildcard. For example, if you know the name of the batch starts with 25, you could type 25* in the Batch Name text box and any batches that begin with 25 will be returned.
NOTE: You may select just the Search button and all existing batches will be displayed. For more information on Adding a Batch, please refer to Entering a Batch article.
- Double click on the desired Batch.
- The New Donation screen will appear and the Batch field is now populated with the selected batch.
- After entering your batch, enter the appropriate search parameters, such as Last or Organization Name and First Name into the Donor field. If the parameters such as the Last Name are not known, you may use the * as a wildcard. Select the Search button. If there is an exact match, Salsa CRM will populate the Donor field using the returned name.
- If there is not an exact match, a list of possible matches is returned in the Constituent Search window. Double click on the desired donor. If only one constituent matches the parameters, that constituent will automatically be selected and the Constituent Search dialog box will close. If there is no match, select the Add button and enter a new constituent following the steps in the Add New Constituent article.
- Select the Anonymous checkbox if the donor wishes to remain anonymous in reports, newsletters, etc. The constituent record will still have the constituent name but the List As field will display as Anonymous rather than the donor’s name. The individual’s constituent record will retain the donor’s name; the donation record will list the donor as Anonymous, any reports you print using the List As name will display Anonymous. This is important when printing donor lists for your various printed materials.
- The Co-Donor field is a Smart Search field. If a Co-Donor is associated with this donation, with your cursor in the Co-Donor field select the Enter key on your keyboard. The majority of the time Co-Donors are related to the donor; if there are any relations associated with the Donor they will return in the constituent search box. You may also search for the Co-Donor following the same steps you used for adding a donor.
- In this example, husband and wife, Dr. Jones & Ms. Bolton have made a donation. Note: if in error, you selected the wrong co-donor, click the Co-Donor button and from the menu select Remove Link.
- The List As name field is populated with corresponding information from the Donor and Co-Donor entered on the donation. This is typically how you would want to format your donor information when listing donors. For example, a list of donors in your annual report, quarterly newsletter, website, etc. is where you would list this information. NOTE: The configuration of the List As name field can be set by going to Manage, Configuration, and on the General screen selecting the tab, Salutation Preferences. Please refer to Salutation Preferences article for more information. Unless otherwise indicated in the Saluation Preferences settings, Salsa CRM will use the default List As name.
- Enter the donation Amount. In this example the donors have donated $100.
- Enter the Received Date by typing the date or select the Calendar button. NOTE: It is recommended that you enter the date on which the donation was entered into your accounting system so that Salsa CRM’s monthly reports match your organization's financial reports.
- Select the Fund. If you need to divide the donation into multiple funds select the Split button. A list of all Funds entered into Salsa CRM will be displayed. Check the Include box for each of the Funds you wish to include. Our donors stated that they want their donation to be split equally between the Building Fund and the Capital Fund.
- Salsa CRM will automatically distribute the donation evenly across all Funds. If you wish to modify the amount applied to each fund, designate the specific purpose for which donations will be used. Select the amount you wish to modify and type a new Amount.
- At the bottom of the Split Fund screen Salsa CRM will display the Total amount presently allocated and the Remaining amount to allocate. Once the entire donation has been allocated, select OK. NOTE: The OK button cannot be selected until 100% of the donation has been allocated. If the allocated amount was entered in error, the Allocated Amount and the Remaining Balance will be in red if it does not equal the donation amount. If the allocated balance is greater than the donation the amount will appear as shown below. Correct the amount and click OK to close the window.
- Select the drop down arrow in the Payment drop down box and select the appropriate payment type. Payment types include: check, cash, credit card, gift in kind, wire transfer (typically used when transferring large donations), payroll deduction (as with United Way), stock (when someone donates gifts of stock), other (for any other donation type received), pledges and recurring. (Please see the Entering a Credit Card Donation for information on entering credit card information).
NOTE: See the Gift in Kind information article on how to enter an in-kind donation as Inventory.
- Enter any Soft Credit(s) in the same manner you entered the Donor.
- Enter the name of the person who solicited the gift by selecting the Solicitor This will allow you to search for the solicitor’s name as you would any donor. The solicitor is the person who made the “ask” of the donor.
NOTE: If the name of the current Salsa CRM user is appearing as the Solicitor, close out of the donation screen and on the main menu, go to Tools > Options > Other. On that screen, deselect the option at the bottom of the screen, ‘Automatically set the current user as the Donation Solicitor’.
- You may select the Document button if you wish to associate a document, such as a check that has been scanned, with this donation. The Select Document Source dialog box appears. Select where the document is stored; in your files, from a scanner or in the Salsa CRM database. Select OK.
- Choose the Campaign and Appeal as needed.
- When you enter a new donation, the Deductible field automatically populates with the same amount you entered into the Amount. NOTE: The Calculate button can only be used if you have the Events module. If you have the Events Module you can find more information on the Deductible field and how it pertains to events in the Events section.
- Choose the desired Thank You Letter or E-Thank You type. The document type is designated with either a Print icon which indicates standard mail or with the Email icon, indicating that the selected document is meant to be emailed to the donor.
- If you have selected a Summary Letter or Summary Receipt, please see the article on Summary Letters and Summary Receipts.
NOTE: In order to send an email to the donor, the donor must have a valid email address on their constituent record.
- Once you Save the donation, you may choose Preview (magnifying glass) to read or to edit the thank you document.
- To print the letter, select the icon button that appears to the right of the Preview button.
- If you are previewing an email that you have configured to have an attachment, you will see an Action Required pop-up appear. This will allow you to view the Email Content and/or Attachment.
NOTE: If you have the Word Processor option set to ‘Use Salsa CRM’s built-in word processor’, and are trying to preview, print or send a thank you letter that was not created using the built-in Word Processor, Salsa CRM will display the Unsupported Document Type window.
NOTE: These letters and emails are form letters created in Salsa CRM’s Word Processor; please refer to the Salsa CRM's Built-in Word Processor article for more information on configuring form letters.
PRO TIP: If you do not want to print each letter or send each email individually, you can print or send them all at once by going to Manage on the main menu and selecting Batches. Please refer to the article on Batch Management for more information.
- The Sent field will automatically populate with the date the letter was printed or the email sent, signifying that the letter has been printed or the email sent.
- The Receipt field is used in the same manner as the Letter field. You will need to create the receipts as form letters or email documents and identify them as a receipt type of document. Receipts are tax-receipts for the donor and can be sent in addition to a thank you letter or email thank you. On the Form Letters & Receipts Configuration screen, when adding a receipt as a form document, you can select if the Receipt is to be Tax Deductible or Non-Tax Deductible. For more information on setting Receipts as form letters, please refer to the Form Letter & Receipts Configuration article.
NOTE: Tax Deductible Summary display with a Bold font and Tax Deductible Receipts display a normal font.
- Likewise, when you roll your mouse over the receipts listed in the Receipt dropdown field, a hover label will appear identifying the option as either Tax Deductible or Tax Deductible Summary. If you choose to select a receipt for the donation, when you Save the donation, a Receipt Number number appears next to the Receipt Sent field. This is a unique ID number, similar to the Donation ID on each donation record. The Receipt Number is generated from the corresponding range configured on the Receipts tab in Configuration.
TIP: If you do not set up the Receipts Configuration screen, the first time you try to print a receipt, you will get a popup if you try to add a donation, or assign a receipt to an existing donation. If you see this error, someone with Configuration permissions will need to update the appropriate configuration screen.
NOTE: You are able to query on this information, as there is a specific query for Receipt Numbers. In the results of the query, the Available Field Action lists one of these three action types: Delete (indicating this donation was previously deleted), New (indicating this as a new donation) and Reverse (indicating that this donation was reversed).
- Once you have selected a Receipt, printed the Receipt and saved the donation, the chosen Receipt and Sent Date are ‘locked down’ to prevent any future changes to this information. NOTE: Any modifications made to the Receipt after it has been printed or sent, will not be saved.
- If this gift is an honorary or memorial gift and you would like to send a letter to the honoree or family of the person being memorialized, you will want to leave the Acknowledge checkbox selected. This prompts the Acknowledgment Wizard to include these letters the next time you run the Acknowledgment Wizard. Please refer to the Acknowledgment Wizard article for more information.
- If this is the only donation you have to enter select the Save button. If there are other donations to process, as when processing web donations, select the Save and Next button, it will automatically bring up the next donation. The Save and New button will save the current donation and open a new donation screen with the previous batch, fund, appeal, and campaign pre-populated.
NOTE: De-selecting the Allow Donation back-dating checkbox (on the Manage, Configuration, General screen) will cause the Received Date on the donation screen to become inaccessible. Once you have entered the donation and saved it, the payment, donor, fund, campaign and appeal fields on the donation record all become inaccessible as well.