Choose the Query
- Open the Word Processor by choosing Manage, Documents and then Word Processor from the main menu.
- From the Options menu, select Run a Mail Merge with additional options.
- The Mail Merge Wizard panel opens on the right side of the screen. Select the Open or Run a Query button. The Query Wizard launches.
Note: The wizard may open with a previous query shown, disregard those results and click the Run Query button to launch a new query.
- Choose Open an existing query definition (for a new query, see the article, Creating a Mail Merge from a New Query). When you select Open an existing query definition, you will be able to view updated results using the same query criteria. Also, If you want to import a .csv file select the query type Open another data source.
- A list of queries is displayed. Choose the desired query or query definition and then select Next. PRO TIP: If you would like to use the information you entered in the Salutation Override window on the constituents’ records (Configurable Salutations) into your letters, you will need to include the proper Available Fields for both the Smart Informal and Formal salutations and the Available Fields for the corresponding Salutation Override.
- The query results are displayed. Select the checkbox next to any record you wish to deselect.
- Select the Back button to go back one step in the Wizard if you make a mistake.
- Choose the Finish button.
- The Query Wizard closes. There is now a count of returned records listed in the Mail Merge panel.
Generate the Mail Merge
- Below the results, locate the "After the merge, I want to..." text and click to select the radio button to the left of the desired outcome. If you select email, select the column name that contains the constituent's email address, and if you want the wizard to create a simple email message or use a message with the attached document.
- Click the Mailing button to name the mailing. The Mailing pop-up appears.
Click Search to use an existing mailing or click Add to create a new mailing. If you create a new mailing, the Add Mailing window displays in a new tab on the browser. Enter the name and a description in the text fields. Click SAVE. Close the browser tab.
- Click the Select Document button. The Document Search pop-up appears. Enter search criteria to locate a saved document to use for the mail merge. If you have not created a document for the mail merge, create it on your computer and add it to the Salsa CRM database. For instructions please review the Document Editor: Create a New Letter article.
- Click the Options button. To select the options for File Format, Save to Database, and Household and Deduplication Options, click to add a checkmark for the desired items.
- Click Run Mail Merge. If you did not select a document (as discussed in a prior step) - Salsa CRM responds with a pop-up stating document required.
- A new tab opens on the browser. From this screen, you may view First, Previous, Next, or Last letters, View All, Edit the displayed letter, Log, Print and/or Print All. The preview screens allow you to see the letter as it will be printed.
Note: If you edit a letter, the edit only applies to the individual letter, not to the entire list. To modify the letter template, open the file on your computer, modify, save and then upload to Salsa CRM as discussed in the Document Editor: Create a New Letter article.
- Once you have printed the letters, close the browser tab.