The Constituent Merge Utility enables you to merge multiple instances of the same constituent into one record. This may be necessary if a duplicate record had been created for a constituent.
It is helpful to think of the two records in terms of a Source Constituent record and a Target record. The Source record contains data that you want moved into the Target record.
When you use this utility, you'll want to be careful about overwriting current information. Before merging, update the statuses on the Source candidate with the information that you want to keep. Step 8 of the process below provides options on some fields to merge; checked values allow Source Constituent data to overwrite the Target values.
Access Control, My Salsa CRM and Patient Services information will be retained in the Source record only. Be sure to transfer information manually prior to deleting the Source record. Patient Services information will merge into the Target record if the Target record does not contain any existing Patient Services information.
- From the main menu bar, select Tools > Constituent Merge > Search for Duplicates. The Constituent Merge Utility will open.
- Choose the fields that you suspect to contain duplicate information, by selecting the checkbox next to the suspect field names. For example, if two records contain the same last name, first name, and address, that would most likely be the same person, and the two records should be combined into one record.
- The textbox field located to the right of the Last or Org Name check box, allows you to filter results based on the first letter of the last name or organization.
- Select the Run Query button. Duplicate records are returned.
- Click to select a record, and then select the Edit Selected Candidates button. Alternately, you can double-click on any row to compare two records.
- Determine which record has the most correct and complete information. One or the other record may simply be deleted at this time, if there is no reason to merge them but they are complete duplicates.
- Choose either the Merge Left to Right or the Merge Right to Left button.
- The Select Information to be Moved dialog box opens. Choose the fields that you wish to move over by selecting the appropriate checkboxes and then choosing OK.
NOTE: Emails can be moved or left unmoved, as is the case with any Contact data (such as phone numbers and URLs, for example). If you choose to merge Email addresses, Salsa CRM will move the email address and give it primary status. Old emails will be designated as non-primary (and not overwritten). If the record you are merging content into contains an email address and the record you are merging from does not, the email address will not be removed or overwritten.
- The Select Information report opens, listing how many records from each field were merged. Click OK.
- Now that data has been moved to another record for that constituent, the duplicate record can and should be deleted. In the lower section of the screen, click and drag the scroll bar down in the constituent record that can now be deleted.
- Choose the Delete button.
- Choose the OK button to confirm the delete.
- Repeat steps 4-10 for each record that you wish to merge.
NOTE: If you have the Volunteer/Human Resources module you will need to note when merging constituent records that the General tab on the Employee and Volunteer nodes will overwrite any pre-existing information in the record being merged into.