If you receive a donation that is to be matched by another donor you will want to enter the matching gift information on the original donation record.
In the example that follows, Doug Waite donated $200. Doug's employer, Section Eight Productions, will match his donation 5%.
- Enter Doug’s donation as instructed in the article, Entering a Donation.
- After you have entered the donor(s), you will want to select the Matching button. The Matching Donations dialog box opens.
- Enter the first part of the constituent (or company) name and select the Matching Constituent button. The Constituent Search dialog box opens.
- Select the constituent you wish to designate as the matching donor, in this example Section Eight Productions.
- If no results are returned you will need to add the matching donor in as a new constituent, select the Add button and enter the constituent. For new constituents, and from the Matching Donations dialog box, select the Add Policy button. The policy states the percentage that the company or individual constituent will match and when your organization can expect to receive payment.
- In this example, Section Eight Productions will match annual gifts (up to $1,000) made by their employees at a match rate of 5%. Section Eight Productions will pay their matching donation at the end of each year. Enter a Description for the company’s matching policy, Percent they will match, Maximum amount of donation, Frequency, and Notes.
- Select the OK button.
- Enter the Expected Amount (in this example, Section Eight Productions will match Doug’s gift at 5% therefore the expected amount is $10), the Expected Date and the Status of the matching donation. Typically the status of the matching donation at this point will be unpaid.
- Choose the Save button.
- Finish entering the donation as usual.