When you create content in a rich text editor, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, hidden formatting is added to your document to make it look nice on-screen. If you then paste that content into a Salsa Engage Activity or Email, the hidden formatting can change the look of your Activity or Email. For example, if you paste from Microsoft Word, your Activity or Email might contain question-mark characters or "#8217". Always make sure that plain single- or double-quote characters are used in your Word documents instead of "smart quotes".
If you need to copy content from a rich text editor...
- Use the Visual Editor's Paste from Word button when pasting directly into a text element.
- Copy the content into a tool that will strip out the hidden formatting, then paste into the Visual Editor's text element. For example, you can use Notepad, TextEdit, Word to Clean HTML, or EditPad as an intermediary.
Process for Pasting Content from a Rich Text Editor to Salsa Engage
- Open Notepad, TextEdit, http://www.editpad.org/, or the plain text editor of your choice.
- Open the Salsa Engage Activity or Email into which you want to paste content.
- Open the content that you want to copy in your rich text editor (for example, Microsoft Word).
- Copy the content that you want to use.
- Click to the plain text editor and paste in your content. Sometimes you can paste without formatting, depending on the tool. Check the edit menu in your software.
- Run the process in that plain text editor to strip hidden formatting, if necessary.
- Copy the text from the plain text editor.
- Click to the Salsa Engage Activity or Email, and paste in the content.