Recent software enhancements are shown in red.
Store credit card or E-Check information in a secure, PCI-compliant fashion on the Donations node of the Constituent record.
Electronic checks (E-Checks) are a type of ACH transaction, which stands for Automated Clearing House, a way in which banks can electronically authorize checking accounts for online purchases.
NOTE: E-Checks are not part of a default credit card merchant account; it is a separate application and account in order to process E-Checks. In order to authorize E-Checks, your Salsa Merchant Services account must include the E-Check option.
To authorize and save a new credit card or E-Check authorization...
- Click the Manage > Configuration menu.
- Select the Credit Card tab on the General node.
- In the Merchant Services Setup section on the right, check the box for Display E-Check Option.
Authorize a New Credit Card
- On the proper constituent record, click the Donations node > Credit Cards tab.
- Click the Authorize New Card/E-Check button.
- The Process Card/E-Check pop-up opens.
- Select Credit Card for the Payment Type.
- Enter the Credit Card Type, Account Number, Expiration Date, Security Code (optional), and an optional Card Note. As soon as you enter the Account Number and Expiration Date and exit the Expiration Date field, a Token number displays on this window. This means that the card is being pre-authorized with and stored in your Cardpointe merchant account. Account numbers (other than the last 4 digits) are not stored and are not accessible within Salsa CRM.
- Click the Authorize Card button. NOTE: the button should NOT say TEST MODE. If it does, your credit card settings are incorrect.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you enter a correct expiration date. The default date is probably not correct. If the expiration date is incorrect, the card will not work.
Authorize a New Checking Account for E-Checks
- Select E-Check for the Payment Type.
- Enter the Routing Number, Account Number, Valid Through Date, and an optional Card Note. This process will create a Token for the account as well. This Token represents the account number. The Account Number will not be available in Salsa CRM.
- Click the Charge E-Check button or cancel if you do not wish to proceed.
NOTE: this button should not say TEST MODE. If it does say TEST MODE, then your merchant account configuration is not correct.
- Your Merchant Account must charge $1 to authorize checking accounts. It is not a fee. There has to be a non-zero transaction to test the electronic pathways. An Action Required pop-up window explains this need for the $1 donation. The amount will be tracked as a donation under this constituent's record. Click OK to proceed or Cancel to back out of authorizing the E-Check account and the $1 charge.
- If the authorization is successful, a second popup explains that you are about to be presented with a pre-populated Donation screen for that $1 authorization amount.
- When you click OK, this popup and the Credit Card popup behind it close, and a Donation screen is opened in a new browser tab with the following information completed:
- Received Date
- Payment Type
- E-Check Authorization Number
- The following fields are still required for this donation...
- All other fields on the donation record are not required. Fields such as, for example, Campaign, Appeal, or Solicitor may be filled in as appropriate.
- When the donation record is filled out to your satisfaction, click Save.
- Close this donation record browser tab.
Once the card or E-Check account is authorized, the information will appear in the Credit Cards tab window. It will be available when entering donations, pledges, recurring donations, through events check-out, etc.
NOTE: Once stored, an authorization cannot be modified. For instance, if the card was authorized with the wrong mailing address, delete the card authorization and re-enter.