Create, manage and measure the success of your free or paid events using Engage's Events tool. With features like unlimited customizable ticket-types, custom questions, waivers and editable RSVPs, events in Salsa are a breeze. The tool will allow you to...
- Create multiple, restricted date ticket types
- Apply a background image to your event pages
- Add register or donate buttons
- Promote and follow up with potential attendees
- Manually add attendees with credit card, cash/check, or complimentary payments.
- Optimize with dashboard metrics/results of your events
All Engage forms are HTTPS secure, even when they are embedded in your own website via widget code. HTTPS is 128-bit encryption that is automatically applied to forms and makes a secure connection between the donor and the donation page. This ensures the authentication of the visited website and protection of the privacy and integrity of exchanged data.
You can use the following logo if you want to reassure your donors that their transactions are secure. To do so, right-click and download the image and insert it into your form as an image element.
- Click Activities from the left navigation menu.
- Select the Events tab.
- Click the + Create an Event button to the right of the window.
- The Make Your Selection tab is selected by default. See Make Your Selection for detailed information. Name the form something unique to set it apart from your other forms.
- Select the Next button in the bottom right. This will take you to the Setup tab.
- Fill out the following fields (required fields are denoted in the application with a *):
- Reference Name—The internal name for your Event. This name will be used internally only.
- Add a Description—Enables you to provide information for future reference. Internal use only.
- Publicly visible name for the event—The public-facing name for your Event
- Start Date, Start Time, End Date, End Time, All Day—Logistical information about your event. This can be completed later.
- Time Zone—The time zone of your event.
- Name of Venue—The name of the place where your event will take place.
- Street Address—The street address of the place where your event will take place.
- City, State, Zip Code—The city, state, and zip code in which your event will take place.
- Fund, Campaign, Appeal—Set the Salsa CRM Fund, Campaign, and Appeal that will be assigned to donations processed. You can add additional values through Salsa CRM. In Salsa CRM main menu, navigate to Manage > Finances. Check out the Salsa CRM documentation for detailed directions.
Ticket Info lets you customize each ticket type for your Event.
- Fill out the following fields:
- Ticket Name—Required to move on to Compose step: Serves as the public name for this ticket.
- Description—Not required: Internal only, used to provide any details necessary for future reference.
- Attendees per Ticket—Required to move on to Compose step: Choose a number from the drop-down.
- Price—Engage supports free and paid events. If no amount is entered for Price, registrants will see "FREE" in the cost column when they register.
- Deductible Amount—Set this to any dollar amount or leave blank.
- Limit Availability—Set a total number of tickets available of this type. Each time a ticket is purchased (or registered for if free), the number of available tickets will decrease by that amount automatically.
- Limit per Transaction—Set a total number of tickets available of each transaction. Registrants for quantity-restricted event types will be limited to that number upon registration.
- Restrict by Date—Make this ticket available only between specific dates. Outside of the dates you set, tickets will not be visible for registrants.
Compose the Event Page
This step enables you to create content and page layout, manage the activity's page settings, consider what type of confirmation the supporter receives, select which payment gateway to use (if you have more than one payment gateway configured) and add any third-party tracking to your form. See the Compose page for additional information.
Pro Tip: The best way to learn what options are available for elements that are already on the form is to hover over any element you are interested in, click the pencil icon, and experiment with the various options.
When the form looks the way you want it to, click the Registration link at the top of the page.
Elements Unique to Ticketed Events
Add to Calendar - If applied to an Event or Peer to Peer Event, this will give visitors to those pages the option to click and automatically add the event to their calendars.
- Edit button...
- corner style
- link to an action, internal page, or external page
Event Dates - Pre-populated with Start Date, Start Time, and End Time Merge Fields. Enables you to add dates to your Event Activity form.
- Edit - font, style, and justification
- Pre-populated with applicable merge fields
Location - Pre-populated with Venue Name, Event Address Line, Event Address Line 2, Event City, Event State, and Event Zip Code Merge Fields. Like the Map element, Location is set during Setup and will automatically populate on Events and Peer to Peer Events pages.
- Edit - font, style, and justification
- Supports Merge Fields - To add merge fields, click the pencil icon, and then click the person icon to the top right of the window. The Add merge fields window will open.
Map - This element is available only on Events and Peer to Peer Events forms, and it automatically renders based on the location that was entered during the Setup step.
Compose the Registration Page
Now that the Event Form is done, you're on to the Registration Form tab. Click the Registration tab at the top of the page. The Registration form window will appear.
You can add content to the Registration Form but it's important to keep the focus on the Registration and not provide too much distraction for potential registrants. Preview the look and feel and then Save and click over to the Checkout Tab.
When the form looks the way you want it to, click the Checkout link at the top of the page.
Compose the Checkout Page
This is where registrants will see a summary of their purchase, enter their credit card information and potentially, make additional donations. This page should be as easy as possible to maximize conversions.
When the form looks the way you want it to, click the Confirmation View link at the top of the page.
Compose Confirmation View Page
This is the page that your supporters will see when they have completed the process.
When the form looks the way you want it to...
- Click Exit to exit the edit mode.
- Click Save and Exit to save your changes, or Cancel and Exit to exit without saving your most recent changes.
- Click the Next» button in the lower right.
You can choose whether or not to include an Autoresponder to this form by selecting the appropriate radio button under the Autoresponders tab. Learn more about Autoresponders and how to configure them here.
On this same screen, click whether to include the tax-deductible amount of the supporter's payment in the payment summary of your autoresponder.
Publish Your Event
Once you have everything set up the way you want it, click the Publish This Event» button at the bottom-right of the window.
NOTE: If you change your mind, you can "unpublish" (make private) your Event by using the gear icon to the left of the controls at the bottom of the window. If you choose to republish the event the Publish This Event» button is renamed Republish This Event».
Manually Add Event Attendees
Note: Registrant must have a valid, unique email address. Offline Attendees/Registrations/Donations entered into Engage without an email can only happen when the Campaign Manager enters the offline/complimentary registration transaction and capturing email addresses for attendees is optional.
For manually added payments, including offline donations, campaign managers can choose from three payment options:
Pay Offline (Check or Cash) - If this option is chosen, the payment fields are removed and campaign managers can quickly add a payment amount that will then be (optionally) synchronized to Salsa CRM as an "Other" Payment Type transaction. Offline donations by default count towards your goal thermometer and are sent to your CRM:
- Synced via integration to Salsa CRM.
- Exported to a CSV file to be imported into your external CRM system.
- Synced via integration to Salesforce.
Please see this article if you don't want offline donations to be sent to your CRM.
Complimentary - If this option is chosen, all payment and donation fields are removed and campaign managers can quickly add registrants with no payment.
Pay Now with Credit Card - If this option is chosen, donations can be made using a credit card.
- In your Event, navigate to the Results page.
- Click the + Add Attendee button. The Event registration page will open.
- Select the button used to register for the event.
- Select that options that you want to use, and follow the on-screen prompts.
Published Details & Promotion
Now that your Event Form is complete, you'll want to get the word out to as many people as possible.
First, you'll see that Events, like all Activities in Engage, are available as standalone URLs, buttons for pages on your website or embed code to be pasted into a page on your site directly.
Click the Promote This via Email button to the right of the window, and Engage will automatically open the Email tool (in the Messaging part of Engage). "Sent to" will default to your entire supporter list. You can choose to restrict the email to certain segments or leave it as-is and send the email out to everyone. See the Email help page for additional help on sending emails.
Once you have published an event form and collected at least registration on the form, you will find new information generated on the Results tab of the form. The first piece of information you will see at the top is the total registered attendees on this particular form.
To the right, you'll see an option to change the timeframe (30 days, 90 days, 1year or Lifetime) of when the data for the graphs in the lower section is pulled.
If you have a specific date range you want to filter by, click the date drop-down and select the range of days and click Apply.
See Performance Statistics for Actions and Messages for detailed information.
Create Follow-Up Message
Click the Create Follow-Up Message button in the top right of this Results screen and select whether you want to send an email to everyone who completed this action or everyone who completed this action and has not yet received a follow-up message. See the Email help page for additional help on sending emails.