Petitions give supporters the opportunity to indicate their support for your cause. A well-crafted petition acts as an effective rallying cry and captures supporter information to help you build your list and advance your organization’s goals.
For more information about how to best use this powerful tool, download our free eBook, The Essential Guide to Online Advocacy for Nonprofits.
- Click Activities from the left navigation menu.
- Select the Petitions tab.
- Click the + Create a Petition button to the right of the window.
- The Make Your Selection tab is selected by default. See Make Your Selection for more information.
- The Basics tab is selected by default. Fill out the fields. See Activity "Basics" for more information.
- Click the Next button at the bottom-right of the window. The compose window will open.
This step enables you to create content and page layout, manage the activity's page settings, consider what type of confirmation the supporter receives, and add any third-party tracking to your form. See the Compose page for additional information.
Elements Unique to Petitions
The following elements are found only in Petition activities:
- Signatures - Displays the name and comments of form signatories and provides the option to add a call to action as well as the option to allow or disallow comments and moderate comments.
- Tracker - Enables you to track how many supporters have signed your petition. It features the following options:
- How many signatures do you need to collect - This is the total number of signatures that you want to collect. The percent complete number is relative to the number you enter here.
- We'll let you know when you hit certain milestones. How often would you like to be notified of your progress? - This feature works by percentage. For example, if you select 10%, you'll be notified when your petition is 10% complete and every time an additional 10% is completed. (In other words, you be notified when your petition is 10%, 20%, 30%, etc., completed.)
- How would you like your goal tracker to be displayed on the petition page? - You can choose a horizontal or vertical orientation.
Set Up Autoresponders
Select an autoresponder option. See the Autoresponders page for additional information.
Publish your form after you have it set up the way you want. Click here for more information. When you select Publish This Form, the page will be rendered, a URL hotlink will be generated, and widgets will be created. You can also see the available date, which shows when the page was published and made available for use. Most importantly, the form WILL BE LIVE.
Widgets for External Web Pages
After you publish, Salsa Engage generates widgets that enable you to add a button link to your petition or embed your petition form to any web page that you own.
Note: You'll probably need admin level access to your website to use this widget code.
Click here for more information.
Towards the top of the page, your newly-published Petition will have spawned a new menu item, See the Results. This menu gives you all the helpful metrics to evaluate your petition's reach. See Performance Statistics for Actions and Messages for detailed information.
Let’s take a moment to look at the various components you see when you first select the Petitions tab.
Petitions Insight - This area will be blank at first, but will populate over time as the number of petitions grows.
You’ll notice the Timeline in the header of the Petition Insight window. This enables you to view reported information for a specific date range.
- Moderate Comments Button - By default, Petition pages are moderated. This button enables you to view and moderate comments submitted by supporters who have signed the petition. Click the button to open the Comments window, where you can see comments that are Waiting for Moderation, Approved Comments, and Rejected Comments. The Status pull down to the right of the Waiting for Moderation table enables you to Post (approve) or Hide (reject) messages. See Petition Commenting below for information about configuring petition moderation.
- Petitions List and the Search Field - These allow you to quickly search by a Petition’s Reference Name or Description, or delete selected forms.