Once you have created the appropriate letter or receipt in the word processor, you must associate this letter to a specific screen within Salsa CRM—in this case, the donation screen—so that it appears as a choice on the letter dropdown field. There is no limit to the number of Form Letters you can create in Salsa CRM.
All Form Letter types display on the last panel of the Donation Statistics Wizard.
To add your document as a Form Letter...
- From the main menu, select Manage > Configuration. The Configuration window displays.
- Select Form Letters & Receipts from the Explorer. The right panel will change to display the Form Letters List Configuration.
- Select the Add Form Letter to Screen button.
PRO TIP: If a letter is outdated and you need to remove it from the dropdown list, return to the Form Letter Configuration screen, highlight the letter, and select the Edit Form Letter/Screen Link button.
- Type a Name for the Form Letter, and press the Tab key. This Name is the name that displays on the dropdown list on the selected screen (see the next step).
- Select the Type of Form Letter. The Type (Donation, Acknowledgment, Solicitation, Event, General, Receipt, Shipment, or Membership) indicates on which screen to display this Form Letter.
NOTE: Receipt Form Letters appear in the Receipt drop-down field on the Donation screen.
- When you select a Type of Receipt, you will have the option to select if the receipt is Tax Deductible or Non-Tax Deductible. Designating a Receipt as Tax Deductible or Non-Tax Deductible will indicate from which corresponding numeric range on the Receipts tab to pull the Receipt number. If you choose something other than Receipt, this option will be inactive. For more information, please see the article on Receipt Configuration.
- If you have selected a Form Letter Type of Donation or Receipt, you will be able to choose whether this document is to be a Summary Letter or Summary Receipt. If you choose a Type other than Donation or Receipt, the Summary Letter option will remain inactive.
- By default, when you add a new form letter, the Display on Dropdown option is selected. When checked, this ensures the letter will appear in the drop-down list on the selected ‘Type’ screen.
NOTE: If you no longer want a certain letter to appear in the drop-down list, you will want to edit the form letter configuration and deselect the Display on Dropdown checkbox. When that is unchecked, the letter name will only display on donations that originally had that letter selected when it was still displayed. That letter will not be available on new donations or when using the Save and New button.
- The Delivery Method dropdown allows you to choose if a document is to be sent via regular mail (Mail) or Email (an E-Thank You).
- If the Delivery Method is Mail, press Select Document and the Document Search screen will be displayed. If the Delivery Method is Email, the button changes to Select Email Content, and more options become available, as in step 6, below.
- Place your cursor in the Description field and type the Name of the document you stored in the Word Processor or use any of the other filters as necessary.
- Select Search.
NOTE: If you don’t know the exact name of the document, you may use a wildcard search to look for a document. For example, to find all documents that have a name beginning with the letter T type T*.
- Select the appropriate Document Type. The default Document Type filter will appear as .doc. If your document is not shown, change the filter to .txt or docx and search again.
- Highlight the desired document and press Enter, or double-click the name of the document. The name of the document will now appear on the Add Form Letter to Screen pop-up window.
- If this is to be an emailable Form Letter, the Email Content document must be either .TXT or .HTML only. There are more items to enter:
- Select Attachment—In a process similar to choosing the Mail Delivery Method document, use the Document Search to find an attachment to your email. Attachments should only be .DOC or .DOCX formatted files.
- Convert Attachment to PDF—If you are attaching a .DOC or .DOCX file to your email, use this option to convert the file to PDF format before sending. PDF files are not changeable or editable on the recipient's end.
- From Address—From whom you would like it to appear is sending the email.
- CC Address—Email addresses in this field will receive a "carbon-copy" of every sent email. The recipient will see that these emails have been copied.
- BCC Address—Email addresses in this field will receive a "carbon-copy" of every sent email. The recipient will not see that these emails have been copied.
- Email Subject—The introduction that identifies the email intent to the recipient.
- Attachment Name—If your attachment file name is letters and numbers, you can change the name before the email is sent to the recipient. This works for the PDF file as well.