Salsa Engage enables you to import donation information.
NOTE: This functionality is only available when Salsa Engage is used independently. If Salsa CRM is integrated, then this functionality is deprecated in favor of importing donations into Salsa CRM with the Advanced Import module. If you have any questions, please review this article on how to import Transactions via the Salsa CRM Advanced Import Tool or contact our Support team.
The standard donation fields to import into are:
- Transaction ID*
- Donation Amount
- Donation Date
- Supporter Email OR Supporter External ID**
* Every donation record should be on its own row in the spreadsheet and must have a unique Transaction ID. If you don't have existing Transaction IDs to import, assign incremental numeric values starting with 1. These values will display in Engage as PNREF.
** If you used the "External ID" field in importing supporter data, then use those same values here to match the donation records to the appropriate supporters. If "Email" was used, then use email addresses to match the donations to the right Supporter. Supporters should have unique emails and should not share emails with another supporter.
- Click Transactions along the left-hand side of the window,
- Click Manage Your Imports tab. The Import Your Donations window will open. It features a list of previous imports and, to the right, the + Import List of Donations button.
Name Your Import and Upload Your Import File
- Click the + Import List of Donations button. The Setup window will open.
- Name your import.
- Add a description.
- Click the Browse for File button to find the file that you want to upload, and upload it. Without timezone information, timestamp fields will be interpreted by Salsa Engage as GMT.
Note: Import date/time fields in ISO 8601 format:
- 2019-05-15T16:13:01Z (Zulu time)
- Once the file is uploaded, click the Next: Import Settings » button to the bottom right of the screen. The Map Fields window will open.
Salsa Engage will automatically map any fields that it recognizes in the header of the file that you upload. You will use the controls on the Map Fields screen to map any fields that Salsa Engage did not map automatically.
The main table on the screen is divided down the middle into two parts. The fields from your uploaded file, for each record, are listed to the left. Salsa Engage default fields are listed to the right.
- Ensure that the row number is correct in the My data starts on row field.
- Use the Preview now control to select the record that you want to use to map fields from your uploaded file to Salsa Engage default fields.
- In the Salsa Fields column, map each un-mapped row by using the pull-down control to the far right of each row. Use Do not import for any fields in your uploaded file that do not match the Salsa Engage default fields.
- Click Next: Import Settings » to advance to the next screen. The Import Your Donations window will open.
Find Duplicates and Start the Import
- Select an option for how you want Salsa Engage to handle duplicates. A "duplicate" is a record that has the same transaction ID as a record that has already been imported.
- Run your import now or schedule it to run at a later time.
NOTE: You can cancel a scheduled import up to five minutes before the import is scheduled to activate.
Pro Tip: schedule when an import is to be performed based on the time zone of the user that is saving the edit, particularly the time zone setting on that computer workstation. We store the request in a universal time format that will work for all users, regardless of location. A Central time zone user saving import scheduling for an east coast organization has to be aware of this relative to when the organization wants the action taken. 10 AM Central time is 11 AM Eastern time! If the time zone setting on the computer is not correct, this can affect scheduling.
- Click I'm Done! ». Salsa Engage will import the donation records from the file that you uploaded and report results when it is finished.